Saving Lady J by Suzy Ayers

"I knew I wasn’t like most people, but I didn’t know exactly what I was. It wasn’t until an event at “Club Deviant” that I realized my fears were solidly real and my life, as well as Julian’s, hung by a silken thread..."

Jamie is a woman confused about who she is sexually. Her submissive side is constantly at war with her mouth. She becomes involved with Julian, a man with secrets of his own, who becomes her slave. 

When two dominant men enter Jamie and Julian's life, Jamie's world begins to unravel. As she attempts to help Julian fight his battles, she unwitting puts herself in harm's way.

   

Although I found the style a bit jarring at times, with its abrupt transitions between character points-of-view, the darkness and the depth of Saving Lady J pulled me in. This is not BDSM spank-bank erotica, it's a genuine story that balances romance, drama, thriller, and erotica, all in equal measure. It's not always comfortable, and it sometimes goes precisely where you're hoping it won't, but it's a stronger story for taking those chances.

While technically the story of Jamie, she would not be Lady J were it not for Julian. Suzy Ayers has created two beautifully flawed characters here, fetish novices with a hunger for something more than the occasional bit of role-playing, and then forces them to earn their fantasies. Neither really knows what they want or what they are capable of, and it is only their awkward, unorthodox relationship that drives them towards epiphany.

To be brutally honest, I didn't like either character at first. I actually found myself wondering why on Earth she chose them to be her protagonists. However, the traits that initially made them seem so unlikable are a huge part of what eventually made them so compelling. I still came away from it a little frustrated with Lady J, wishing she would open her eyes and commit herself to what she really wants, but Julian has the kind of character arc that defines a book and, in fact, I would argue he very much becomes the hero of the tale. As for the two dominant men of the cover blurb, it's painfully obvious which she should have chosen, just as it's just plain painful to watch her suffer the consequences of her mistake.

There is a lot of pain in this book, both physical and emotional. One character keeps sliding into alcoholism to deal with the pain of submission, while the other climbs out of drug addiction to appreciate the contentment of submission. Don't get me wrong, there are some intensely erotic scenes, along with some moment of genuine romance, but nothing comes easy here . . . much like in real life.



Kindle: 138 pages
Published: July 13, 2015
Published by: Dark Hollows Press, LLC

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for reading it! I love your honest and concise review. This book was a labor of love for me. I am glad it was engaging and intense. I consider all my books my babies, and have yet to write the follow up. Thank you again! I will save and share your website. ~ S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raw Pain Max by C. Dean Andersson

Give of Yourself: A Bizarro Christmas Tale by Lee Widener

Holey Matrimony by Kevin Strange